1/2 Photos of Lamingtons
Very Australian small cakes. A Lamington Drive is the quintessential fund raiser for schools and clubs. Lamingtons store well for up to 3 days. This version is not overly sweet so if you have a really sweet tooth you could add 1/2 cup icing sugar to the chocolate coating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g flour, sifted twice
- 30 g butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 400 g shredded coconut
- 600 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 300 ml cream
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C Line 2 20cm square baking tins.
- 2Whisk eggs and sugar in a double boiler making sure the water does not touch the bowl. Beat for 5-10 mins or until warm, pale and frothy.
- 3Transfer to an electric mixter adding vanilla paste and whisk on high speed for 8-10 mins or until mixture has tripled in volume.
- 4Divide flour into 3 and gently fold each portion through the egg mix. After the second batch of flour add the melted butter then add the final batch of flour.
- 5Divide between the 2 baking ins and bake for 20 minutes Remove from oven and leave to cool in tins for 10 mins before turning out onto cool rack.
- 6For the chocolate coating combine the chocolate and cream in a double boiler and gently melt the chocolate, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- 7Cut each sponge into 16 squares. Scatter coconut over a tray.
- 8Using a fork dip the sponge into the warm chocolate, shake of excess and then roll in coconut. Place on cake rack and finish dipping remaining cakes.
- 9If chocolate starts to thicken too much place on stove again and reheat slightly.
- 10Let the Lamingtons sit for 1 hour to allow chocolate to set.
- 11Alternative: Slice the whole cake in half horizontally, spread with a berry jam, sandwich back together, cut into squares then coat in chocolate and coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamingtons
Serving Size: 1 (2236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.2
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 65.4 mg
- Sodium 64.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste