That secret of a good Lamington is to make the cake mixture from scratch.
Make and share this Lamingtons - True Blue Aussie Lamos recipe from Food.com.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl then beat the eggs until thick and creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat well until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a large bowl, mix the self raising flour with the cornflour.
- Add the butter to the hot water.
- Add the flour mix to the beaten eggs and stir well then add the hot water mixture.
- Combine very well.
- Pour the batter into a 23cm.
- square cake tin that has been well greased.
- Bake the cake at 180°c.
- for 35 minutes then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and cocoa together then add the melted butter and hot milk.
- Stir well until the mixture is smooth.
- Cut the cake into squares then dip each square into the chocolate icing then roll the cake in the coconut.
- Drain on a wire cake rack.
- *If you wish, cut the squares in half and spread with jam before dipping.