1/2 Photos of Layered Fish and Potato Pie With Saffron Leeks
Russ found this recipe in a recent New Idea. He made it tonight and figures almost any white or smoked fish would be good in it. It was really delicious-simple flavours that worked well with the beautiful whiting I caught this afternoon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 5mm slices
- 100 g butter
- 400 g leeks, cleaned halved lengthways and cut into half moon slices
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 450 g firm white-fleshed fish, cut to same thickeness and size as potato slices
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or 2 tablespoons water
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1Preheat oven to 200c.
- 2Bring a pan of water to the boil add the potato slices, return to the boil and and parboil for 3 minutes.
- 3Melt a third of the butter in a seperate pan over medium high heat; add the leeks and saffron, season with salt and pepper. Cover and sweat the leaks over medium heat for 10 minutes or until soft, add the lemon juice and set aside.
- 4Meanwhile, grease an ovenproof dish with some of the butter. Season the fish and potatoes with salt and pepper.
- 5Place half the potatoes in the greased dish, then half the fish, all the leeks, another layer of fish and lastly the rest of the potatoes overlapped across the top.
- 6Sprinkle over water or stock, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile process bread, garlic, parsley and zest until mixture resembles medium-fine crumbs.
- 8Remove foil from fish dish top with breadcrumb mix, dot with remaining butter.
- 9Return to oven uncovered and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.
- 10Serve pie with vegetables or simple green or tomato salad.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Fish and Potato Pie With Saffron Leeks
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.2
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.6 mg
- Sodium 267.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of