This potato dish is nice served hot or cold. Great to take along on a picnic served with a salad.
Make and share this Layered Potato Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease an 8-inch spring form pan. Line base and sides of pan with wax paper.
- Peel potatoes and thinly slice with mandoline.
- In microwave melt butter add oil, garlic, and pepper.
- Arrange some of the potato slices in bottom of pan, overlapping edges.
- Brush with butter mixture.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese and parsley sprinkle some over potato slices.
- Continue layering potatoes, brushing with butter mixture and sprinkling with cheese mixture, ending with cheese.
- Using your hand, press the top layer down. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly, cut into wedges.
- Serve warm or cold served with salad.
We really enjoyed this and it's a nice dish that would go well along with so many different mains. One thing I will change next time is I thought the very top layer with twice the quantity of crumbs as cheese had a bit too much of a 'toasted' flavour on top, my oven has baking elements both on the top and bottom that may not have helped in that regard. I think next time I'll cut the mixuture to about 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and 3/4 cup of mozzarella, and then for the last layer place a very small sprinking of breadcrumbs over the top followed by enough mozzarella to cover it.
I have been looking forward to trying this recipe for weeks and was very disapointed. For starters, I did follow the recipe exactly. The potatoes were still raw after an hour which I didnt find out til it was already out of the pan. So I microwaved them until they were cooked.
The appearance of the potatoes (pre-microwave) is very unappetizing. They are brown and just look nasty. The dish was horribly bland. I will not try this one again.
After reading the other reviews I decided to cut the breadcrumbs in half, and that worked great for us. I also had a little cheddar cheese leftover to and added it to the mozz. cheese, loved the taste of this. Nice easy, quick meal. Made for Auz/nz swap #33