A delicious way to enjoy mashed potatoes. Easy enough for weekday meals; elegant and tasty enough to serve to dinner guests. Adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly Casserole cookbook.
- Peel potatoes, cut each into four even pieces.
- Boil, steam or microwave the potatoes until they are tender, drain the potatoes and mash them; add butter, milk and sugar and beat until the butter melts.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan, cook the leek, garlic, mushrooms and thyme until the leek is soft.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the wine evaporates.
- Stir the leek mixture into the mashed potatoes; and serve.