Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great luncheon or light dinner recipe! The pie crust made from bread works really well and is much easier than pastry. I think it originally came from the Australian Womans Weekly. I've been making it for years. Serve it with a tossed green salad and some chips (fries)on the side.
- Remove crusts from bread and spread with margarine.
- Retain the crusts.
- Line the base and sides of a deep pie plate with bread, buttered side down.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and press down.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan melt margarine.
- Add leeks and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in capsicum and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in blended cornflour, milk and crumbled stock cube.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in eggs.
- Pour into bread lined pie plate.
- Use the reserved crusts to decorate the top in a lattice pattern.
- Bake in oven 200 deg celsius for 30 minutes or until filling is set.
Tomboy, as soon as I read this recipe I said I had to try it and I did last night. MMMmmm I love leeks and this is a great recipe. I did the recipe in individual oven proof (can't think of the word I want) bowls and they looked lovely sitting in front of each persons place. I added pepper & 1 jalapeno to the recipe. Served with a salad and crusty rolls Thank-you
I needed something easy to use up excess leeks - this was just the rescipe. It was easy to make and lovely to eat.
This is in the oven as we speak, I have a good feeling about it. Love the bread crust idea. I only had white so hopefully it will taste ok. Wanted to make a quiche but was too lazy to make a pie crust.