Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is a New Zealand recipe so the cup size will be larger. Our cups are 250ml.
Make and share this Lemon and Mango Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Sift the flour, sugar and ginger into a bowl, make a well in the centre.
- Combine the egg, lemon juice, rind and buttermilk. Stir into the dry ingredients, alternatively with melted butter and Mango Slices.
- Divide evenly between 12 greased muffin tins, sprinkle with castor sugar.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until well risen and cooked.
- Leave in the tins for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
Just out of the oven & I've already sampled one; moist, slightly sweet and very flavorful - not quite a muffin texture as I know it but not a cupcake either. I used the ginger and it is a very understated flavor against the lemon. For others' reference, a 425g can (15 oz. can) has the equivalent of 1 mango inside so I'm guessing 1 ripe, fresh mango would work here. My oven is very cranky and I knew that baking at 220ÂºC (~425F) spelled disaster. I baked them at 350 for 15 minutes then went to 400 for 5 more minutes to brown the tops. My yield was 18 big muffins and could have divided even further into 24 standard muffins. They domed up beautifully! Thanks for sharing a recipe that combines 3 of my favorite flavors - mango, lemon and ginger!
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #21* The only problem I had, was to find a can of mango slices in syrup ! Only found in a local Spanish grocery ! These muffins are delightful ! The texture is almost that of a sponge cake. Interesting to put together, as the combination of the lemon, buttermilk, and and baking soda (in the self-rising flour) begin to bubble and rise while being stirred into batter ! I filled a 12 muffin tin, each just to the top. They rose nicely rounded, and maintained their shape. The only sub I made was to sprinkle coarse Demarrara sugar on top. Baked at 425 degrees for 17 minutes was perfect. Thanks for posting this delightful recipe, Jewelies.