1/1 Photo of Lemon Delicious Pudding
1 hr 10 mins
This is an old favourite which most Aussie kids have grown up with. While cooking, the mixture separates into a light-as-air lemony sponge on top with a lemon custard sauce below. The secret is not to overwork the mixture - use a light hand! If you have any left over - which is unlikely - it will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator and can be warmed briefly in the microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set oven to 180°C (350°F) Put the flour, lemon rind and juice, melted butter, egg yolks and half of the measured sugar into a mixing bowl.
- 2Beat until mixed.
- 3Heat milk just until it reaches room temperature.
- 4Add milk to egg mixture and beat briefly until combined.
- 5With clean, dry beaters, whisk egg whites, gradually adding remaining sugar, until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- 6Lightly fold about 1 cup of the lemon mixture into the beaten egg whites, then add the egg white mixture to the rest of the lemon mixture.
- 7Be very gentle with the mixture- a few lumps of white won’t hurt.
- 8Gentle handling at this stage will result in a feather-light sponge.
- 9Empty the mixture gently into an ungreased, round, ovenproof dish (I use a 6 cup capacity pyrex casserole dish).
- 10Place a baking tin in the oven.
- 11Place the dish in the baking tin.
- 12Now, using a jug or a kettle, add water to the baking tin so that it comes halfway up the sides of the dish.
- 13Bake for about 40 minutes until the sponge top is light brown and well set.
- 14Serve while still warm with cream or ice cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Delicious Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.3
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 130.6 mg
- Sodium 107.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lemon rind