Mummy and my brother eat this till it is coming out of their ears, literally. Mum says this is one of the best lemon meringue pies she ha ever tasted. from womens weekely
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 185 g butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 90 g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- sift flour, salt and icing sugar into basin; chop butter roughly, add to dry ingredients, rub in until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- add lemon juice and enough water to mix to firm dough. refridgerate 30 minutes.
- roll pastry on lightly floured surface to fit a 23cm (9inch) pie plate. use rolling pin to lift pastry on to pie plate.
- trim and decorate edges.
- prick base and sides of pastry with fork, bake in moderately hot oven 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. allow to cool.
- combine sifted flours, lemon rind, lemon juice and sugar in saucepan. add water, belnd until smooth, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens; this is important the mixture must boil.
- reduce heat, stir in butter and lightly beaten egg yolks, stir until butter has melted; cool.
- spread lemon filling evenly into pastry case.
- combine egg whites, water and salt in a small bowl of electric mixer, beat on high speed until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, beat well until sugar has disolved.
- spoon on top of lemon filling, spreading meringue to edges of pie to seal; peak meringue decoratively with knife.
- bake in moderate oven 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- cool, then refridgerate.
- book recomends to use a knife dipped in warm water to cut the pie, this ensures the merinuge cuts cleanly.