Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a really nice way to serve beans, the beans retain a nice crispness & the sauce has a subtle lemon flavour which goes nicely with the garlic.
- 500 g fresh beans (recipe calls for green but butter beans are fine too)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- String & cut beans into 2.5cm lengths. Place into a shallow dish with stock, cover & cook on high for 8 minutes or until beans are tender; drain & reserve stock.
- Place butter, onion & garlic in a separet dish, cook on high for 4 mins or until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour, then lemon juice and reserved stock, cook on high for 3 mins or until mixture boils & thickens, stirring once.
- Combine beans with hot sauce, reheating for approx 2 mins if necessary.
I also enjoyed the hint of lemon in this dish. I did not need salt and pepper as there was a lot of flavor from the onion. My cooking method was a little different but with the same out come. First I steamed my gr beans, meanwhile I brought my onion and garlic to a sweat in the butter. Then added the flour and cooked 1 minute next came the lemon. Lastly I added 1 cup of water that I dissolved 1 chicken bullion cube in. When the sauce was nice and thick I added the beans. This is really very good and easy to make and is thumbs up better then that mushroom soup gr bean stuff, healthier too. Made for *Holiday Beverage Tag* game 2007 (Dec)
Enjoyed the fresh flavor of green beans and the light lemon flavor. I added onion powder instead of chopped onion and 2 pats of butter. Cooked the sauce in a pan and whisked well because I usually end up with clumps but this sauce went together perfectly. A vege dish that looks like a lot of work went into it but so easy to make. Thank you Mandy!
Nice crisp lemony garlic beans....what more could I ask for :) I did cheat a little and cooked frozen baby whole beans 5 mins in microwave, then made the sauce. I left out the onions (had run out LOL)and put 1 cup water, 1 teasp chicken stock powder, 1teasp minced garlic from a jar, the flour, butter and lemon juice in a glass jug and cooked in the microwave for about 3 mins, stirring every 1min. When thickened I poured it over the cooked beans and served. Yummy:) A keeper for sure :)