Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Served over pasta, rice or a baked potato this makes for a great vegetarian meal.
Make and share this Lentil Bolognese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup red lentil (rinsed)
- 410 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 450 ml vegetable stock (cubes are fine)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan gently fry the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil for about 5 mins, until they are soft.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, herbs and seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.
Just made this .... Very tasty and very easy and the tomato paste made the stock lovely and rich.... Served it with rice and fine green beans
It's quick and easy, but I would definitely cut down on tomato paste. I think this recipe has great potential, but all in all, it was just OK.
A tasty recipe and healthy too! I enjoyed all the flavors. Made for the Australian Recipe swap-Oct. 2009.