Served over pasta, rice or a baked potato this makes for a great vegetarian meal.
Make and share this Lentil Bolognese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup red lentil (rinsed)
- 410 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 450 ml vegetable stock (cubes are fine)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan gently fry the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil for about 5 mins, until they are soft.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, herbs and seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.
It's quick and easy, but I would definitely cut down on tomato paste. I think this recipe has great potential, but all in all, it was just OK.
A tasty recipe and healthy too! I enjoyed all the flavors. Made for the Australian Recipe swap-Oct. 2009.
*Reviewed for Aussie NZ Forum Recipe Tag* Giving 5 stars as this was super easy and quick to make. A really yummy topping that was a whole family pleaser....including the meat lovers. Very good on the budget meal to. I served my lentil bolognese over gluten-free pasta. The left-overs are going to be for breakfast served on toast. I think this would be a great topping for hot potatos or served casserole style topped with mashed potato like a cottage pie. Photo also to be posted.