A lovely healthy salad that will keep you going until dinner. I found this on the back of a packet of French style lentils.
- 1 cup French lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 g baby beets, drained & cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring the water, lentils & bay leaf to boil in a medium saucepan, reduce heat & simmer until tender, approx 25 minutes.
- Drain & remove bay leaf.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic & salt & pepper, pour over lentils and lightly toss.
- Toss the dressed lentils together with the onion, beets, parsley & coriander.
- Top with crumbled feta.
Yum! I don't love beets, but I do love this salad. I made it at least three times this summer, and have passed the recipe on to others who have shared the love of this bright, hearty, filling salad. Thanks for posting the recipe!
Fantastic salad with a wonderful combination of flavours and textures. I used 500 grams of fresh beets that I chopped and roasted in the oven with a few cloves of garlic. After draining the lentils, I gave them a quick rinse which got rid of the dingy colour left by the cooking water. I served this as a side dish and there was more than enough for six people. Thanks for posting. I was tickled to notice that my bag of French lentils had the same recipe on the back. In future, I'll pay more attention to recipes on packaging.
Fantastic salad! I loved all the flavors together. I followed the recipe but cut the oil down to 1 1/2 tbsp. This makes a healthy, filling lunch. I'll make this again for sure. Thanx for sharing!