1/4 Photos of Lentil Soup for People Who Thought They Hated Lentils! - Meat Op
1 hr 30 mins
Caithi Romeo's Note:
I love this recipe, friends crave it, some have me over once a month just to cook this ( :P ) and my husband who doesn't eat soup and wouldn't even try lentils ate it up in seconds! I do love this, as its great tasting and well worth the effort! This is seriously something you must try! Its something I have perfected over the years, so my measurement are guesstimates but they are pretty spot on! This is one of those recipes that takes an afternoon to cook and tastes even better the next day, but this makes a lot of soup and it freezes so well its worth it! This is a thick soup so could be served as a meal!If you absolutely need to add meat, I cook a generous amount of thinly sliced prosciutto and serve on top of soup under the shredded Parmesan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 liters liquid vegetable stock
- 1 (500 g) bag red lentils, thoroughly washed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 large onions, diced
- 1 1/2 large red capsicums, diced
- 1 1/2 large carrots, diced
- 1/4 bunch celery, diced
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 200 g mushrooms, chopped
- 250 g green beans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese
- 250 g prosciutto, if wanted
- 1Add vegetable stock,red lentils, salt, pepper, onions and garlic to a pot and bring to the boil.
- 2Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- 3This is where I start to chop up vegetables and add as each vegetable is prepared.
- 4I usually add in this order carrot, green beans, leek, celery, capsicum, spinach, tomato then mushrooms.
- 5Add tomato paste.
- 6Keep pot covered and stir every 10- 20 minutes until lentils have broken down, usually 60 to 90 minutes.
- 7If the soup dries out add water.
- 8Add parsley, oregano and basil, and then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 9I usually then turn off stove, leave it covered until cooled then refrigerate overnight.
- 10It is worth this process, however it can obviously be eaten straight away.
- 11Before serving, add shaved Parmesan as a garnish and enjoy with a crispy warm bread roll, butter and nice glass of red.
- 12Hope you enjoy this as much as we all do!
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Soup for People Who Thought They Hated Lentils! - Meat Op
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.1
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: