Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My version of lightened up Bolognaise / Bolognese.
Make and share this Lightened up Bolognaise / Bolognese Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 200 g 95% lean ground beef
- 200 g ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, grated on the finest holes of your grater
- 2 sticks celery, diced finely
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 140 g tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (400 g) can whole canned tomatoes, juices reserved, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mixed spice
- 500 ml low sodium chicken broth
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
- Heat a large pan over a medium hea then spray with oil, add the onion, beef and turkey minces and stir breaking up the meats. Stir until the onion is cooked through and the meat has changed colour. This might take 10 to 15 minutes and is an important step as it’s getting that onioncooked along with the meat.
- Add the garlic, carrot, celery and capsicum and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Push the mixture to the outside of the pan and add the tomato paste to the middle of the pan- let it cook over the heat stirring, for a couple of minutes. Mix the meat mixture back through it so all is coated with tomato paste, then add the wine to the pan and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the sugar, tinned tomatoes along with their juice, Italian herbs, smoked paprika and mixed spice, chicken stock and a good grinding of black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook at a simmer for about 1 ½ hours stirring occasionally. If the sauce looks to be getting too thick, add in a little more boiling water as needed.
- Just before serving, stir through the shredded fresh basil leaves and serve over the pasta of choice, with grated parmesan cheese at the table.