Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make a crab dip based on one by Pet-R-Us I took it along to a 'zaar (we were members of Recipezaar when we met many years ago) BBQ yesterday where I was encouraged by the others to post my version. We catch, pick and freeze our own crab meat, so I just grab a packet or two out-I think I usually aim to use around a cup, but it's OK if it's a bit more. I actually squeeze each artichoke as dry as I can, or the liquid spoils the dish. I like to serve this on crusty fresh sour dough baguette slices, but you can use chips, crackers or vegetable crudites if you prefer!
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 250 g low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (1 cup grated)
- 1 (400 g) can artichoke hearts in brine, very well drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese, extra
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Grease an oven proof dish (about 6 cup capacity) and preheat oven to 180c or moderate temperature.
- Mix together all ingredients apart from panko crumbs and extra parmesan.
- Pour into baking dish, sprinkle the top with panko and extra parmesan, then bak in the oven about 30 minutes or until bubbling, and golden.
The DH and I were one of the couples at the ZAAR get together BBQ and it was fantastic so creamy and rich tasting that you wouldn't believe that low fat had been used. I would just loved to have been able to sit down with a spoon and eaten as was but on thick slices of fresh white baguette it was a total delight to eat. Thanks Jan for a great day and a greater treat in sharing this wonderful dish.