1/1 Photo of Macadamia & Apple Muffins
ZWT7 Pacific Islands, Hawaii. Macadamia nuts are synonymous with Hawaii but indigenous to Australia. The almost perfectly round light coloured nuts grow to approximately 1 inch in size, and they have a rich distinctive taste. Recipe from the Australian Macadamia Society. http://www.macnuts.com.au.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter or oil, for greasing
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 g macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- creme fraiche or mascarpone, to serve
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180C and grease a 12 cup muffin tray.
- 2Combine sugar, eggs and maple syrup in a medium bowl and whisk until thick and smooth.
- 3Sift flours and cinnamon together in a large bowl and add chopped macadamia nuts.
- 4Add bicarbonate of soda to buttermilk, stir until dissolved, then add buttermilk immediately to flour mixture, along with sugar-and-egg mixture and chopped apple.
- 5Fold in gently until just combined.
- 6Spoon mixture into muffin tray, place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester withdraws clean.
- 7Stand muffins in muffin pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 9Place butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and heat gently until melted.
- 10Add apple wedges and cook until soft and syrup is thick and smooth.
- 11Add chopped macadamia nuts and stir to coat in syrup.
- 12Spoon apple and macadamia topping over each cooled muffin and serve with crème fraiche or mascarpone. Makes 12.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macadamia & Apple Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 406.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 37.4 g
- Protein 5.5 g