Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An Australian twist on the classic shortbread. Cooking time includes the chilling time for the dough.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces macadamia nuts, plus a couple more chopped for finishing touch
- 1 2⁄3 ounces caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 ounces butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 ounces plain flour
- Put the macadamia nuts and sugar in a food processor and pulse until they reach the texture of fine crumbs.
- Then add the vanilla extract and butter, and pulse again until smooth.
- Add 4.4 ounces of the flour, and pulse until just combined.
- Remove and knead in as much of the remaining flour as you need to create a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough in plastic wrap, to form a log approximately 20cm in length, then refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take the dough log from the fridge, cut into 0.5cm-thick slices.
- Push a few extra macadamia pieces into each biscuit, then remove the plastic wrap.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for eight to nine minutes, until just set.
- Cool the biscuits on a tray, then transfer them to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Made these for the DS to take to his adult music recreation group were they were very much enjoyed. I baked for 7 minutes at 175C fan forced oven and got 27 shortbread biscuits. This was a really easy dish to put together using the food processor and would gladly recommend it to any shortbread lover (as long as they don't mind nuts in their shortbread). Thank you Sarah_Jayne, made for Every Day A Holiday.
OMG - these cookies absolutely melt in your mouth... I love shortbread, but this must be my favorite shortbread recipe here on Zaar. The method is somewhat different too - maybe that's why the texture is so light. I did end up using more than 6oz flour, my dough was just too soft so I added a bit more. Instead of shaping my dough into a log (mine just never turn out nicely that way), I patted the dough into a large rectangle and then cut thin long rectangle shape cookies... Works for me! Oh and since the kitchen was getting warm with the oven on, I put the shaped cookies on a cookie sheet then into the freezer for about 15 minutes or so before putting them in the oven. Made for ZWT5.
What a great-tasting shortbread cookie! The macadamias enhanced the buttery flavour and the slivers of macadamias on top added a nice crunch and hit of nuttiness. Would make again.