Laksa is a Malaysian soup made from laksa flavour spicy curry, coconut cream, noodles, prawns/shrimp, chicken and lots of fresh toppings. This recipe is considered to be a cheat version because it uses laksa paste, however the results are still very yummy. You can vary the ingredients in the soup to your own taste. I had trouble finding fish balls and fried tofu puffs in my region so I replace the balls with extra green prawns/shrimp and fried my own tofu (I cut them into 1 cm by 1 cm cubes). This recipe is from SBS's Food Safari and is made by Aryan Mansor
- 4 -5 shallots, chopped
- 6 -7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece gingerroot, peeled and chopped (Thumb size)
- 1 red chile, fresh (more or less, depending to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried prawns or 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup water
Prawn or Shrimp Flavoured Oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 raw green prawns or 12 green shrimp, shelled and divined
- 180 ml laksa paste
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 320 g fish balls (optional)
- 320 g fried tofu, puffs halved (fried tofu puffs)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1 lime, juice of
- 160 g rice vermicelli
- 350 g egg noodles
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (boiled-stock can be used for the broth!)
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 red chile, sliced
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons deep fried shallots
- fresh lime wedge
- Shell prawns/shrimp and reserve prawn/shrimp in one bowl and heads and shells in a separate bowl. Set aside for later use.
- Using a food process make 'Spice Paste' add shallots, garlic, ginger, chillies, dried prawns and water. Then blend until it forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add vegetable oil and heat. Once the oil is hot add prawns/shrimp shells and fry for about one minute or until they turn red. Remove from pan and discard. This will add prawn/shrimp flavour to the oil.
- To make the 'Laksa Broth' add 'Spice Paste' to prawn/shrimp flavoured oil and fry for a minute. Add laksa paste and simmer for about two minutes. Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to boil,.
- Then add coconut cream, fish balls, fried tofu, sugar, fish sauce, salt and freshly squeezed lime juice. Bring to boil.
- Half fill a medium pot with water and bring to boil. Add rice vermicelli for a few minutes until they become soft then remove into separate serving bowls.
- Add egg noodles in boiling water for five minutes or until soft and transfer into the same bowls as rice vermicelli.
- In the same pot poach reserved prawn/shrimp meat until it's pink then transfer them into the same bowl as the rice vermicelli and egg noodles.
- Pour 'Laksa Broth' into the serving bowls (same bowls as the prawns/shrimp and noodles).
- Then top with shredded chicken, bean sprouts, spring onions, chilli, coriander, fried shallots and serve with lime wedge's.