1/10 Photos of Malaysian Laksa
Chef floWer's Note:
Laksa is a Malaysian soup made from laksa flavour spicy curry, coconut cream, noodles, prawns/shrimp, chicken and lots of fresh toppings. This recipe is considered to be a cheat version because it uses laksa paste, however the results are still very yummy. You can vary the ingredients in the soup to your own taste. I had trouble finding fish balls and fried tofu puffs in my region so I replace the balls with extra green prawns/shrimp and fried my own tofu (I cut them into 1 cm by 1 cm cubes). This recipe is from SBS's Food Safari and is made by Aryan Mansor
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 shallots, chopped
- 6 -7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece gingerroot, peeled and chopped (Thumb size)
- 1 red chile, fresh (more or less, depending to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried prawns or 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- 1/2 cup water
Prawn or Shrimp Flavoured Oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 raw green prawns or 12 green shrimp, shelled and divined
- 180 ml laksa paste
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 320 g fish balls (optional)
- 320 g fried tofu, puffs halved (fried tofu puffs)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1Shell prawns/shrimp and reserve prawn/shrimp in one bowl and heads and shells in a separate bowl. Set aside for later use.
- 2Using a food process make 'Spice Paste' add shallots, garlic, ginger, chillies, dried prawns and water. Then blend until it forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
- 3In a large pot, add vegetable oil and heat. Once the oil is hot add prawns/shrimp shells and fry for about one minute or until they turn red. Remove from pan and discard. This will add prawn/shrimp flavour to the oil.
- 4To make the 'Laksa Broth' add 'Spice Paste' to prawn/shrimp flavoured oil and fry for a minute. Add laksa paste and simmer for about two minutes. Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to boil,.
- 5Then add coconut cream, fish balls, fried tofu, sugar, fish sauce, salt and freshly squeezed lime juice. Bring to boil.
- 6Half fill a medium pot with water and bring to boil. Add rice vermicelli for a few minutes until they become soft then remove into separate serving bowls.
- 7Add egg noodles in boiling water for five minutes or until soft and transfer into the same bowls as rice vermicelli.
- 8In the same pot poach reserved prawn/shrimp meat until it's pink then transfer them into the same bowl as the rice vermicelli and egg noodles.
- 9Pour 'Laksa Broth' into the serving bowls (same bowls as the prawns/shrimp and noodles).
- 10Then top with shredded chicken, bean sprouts, spring onions, chilli, coriander, fried shallots and serve with lime wedge's.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Malaysian Laksa
Serving Size: 1 (792 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1475.7
- Calories from Fat 546
- Total Fat 60.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 126.9 mg
- Sodium 1703.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 189.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 74.9 g
- Protein 47.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: