Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious festive layer cake that makes every celebration extra special. It is simple to make! Nice to eat too!
- 2 sponge cakes
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1⁄2 cup coffee liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- cocoa powder
custard filling and frosting
- 1⁄2 cup cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup custard powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 30 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 90 g dark chocolate
- Filling and Frosting.
- Place cornflour, custard powder, and sugar into a saucepan. Stir untl combined. Gradually add milk, stir until smooth and free of lumps.
- Add vanilla and cream, stir untl combined. Stir over low heat until custard boils and thickens. Add butter, simmer uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat, add beaten egg yolks, mix well. Place custard in bowl, cover with plastic food wrap and allow to become cold.
- Place chocolate in a double saucepan, place over simmering water until chocolate melts. Allow to cool slightly. Divide custard in half. Leave one half vanilla and add chocolate to other half, mix well.
- To prepare cake.
- Cut two 9 inch sponge cakes into four even layers. Place first layer onto a serving plate.
- Combine cold coffee, liqeur, brandy and sugar, mix well. Brush liqeur mixture onto first layer.
- Spread half the vanilla custard over the first layer. Place the second layer on top of the first layer. Brush with liqeur mixture. Spread 1/3 of chocolate custard over second layer.
- Place third layer on top of second layer, brush wth liqeur mixture and spread with remaining half of vanilla custard.
- Place fourth or top layer on cake and brush with liqeur mixture. Spread remaining chocolate custard over the top layer and around sides of cake.
- Smooth over surface with a large spatula. refrigerate for several hours.
- Decorate the cake by piping cream to form a decorative border. You can decorate the cake in the style that you choose if you wish. Sprinkle with finely sifted cocoa powder.