A delicious festive layer cake that makes every celebration extra special. It is simple to make! Nice to eat too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sponge cakes
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- cocoa powder
custard filling and frosting
- 1Filling and Frosting.
- 2Place cornflour, custard powder, and sugar into a saucepan. Stir untl combined. Gradually add milk, stir until smooth and free of lumps.
- 3Add vanilla and cream, stir untl combined. Stir over low heat until custard boils and thickens. Add butter, simmer uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Remove pan from heat, add beaten egg yolks, mix well. Place custard in bowl, cover with plastic food wrap and allow to become cold.
- 5Place chocolate in a double saucepan, place over simmering water until chocolate melts. Allow to cool slightly. Divide custard in half. Leave one half vanilla and add chocolate to other half, mix well.
- 6To prepare cake.
- 7Cut two 9 inch sponge cakes into four even layers. Place first layer onto a serving plate.
- 8Combine cold coffee, liqeur, brandy and sugar, mix well. Brush liqeur mixture onto first layer.
- 9Spread half the vanilla custard over the first layer. Place the second layer on top of the first layer. Brush with liqeur mixture. Spread 1/3 of chocolate custard over second layer.
- 10Place third layer on top of second layer, brush wth liqeur mixture and spread with remaining half of vanilla custard.
- 11Place fourth or top layer on cake and brush with liqeur mixture. Spread remaining chocolate custard over the top layer and around sides of cake.
- 12Smooth over surface with a large spatula. refrigerate for several hours.
- 13Decorate the cake by piping cream to form a decorative border. You can decorate the cake in the style that you choose if you wish. Sprinkle with finely sifted cocoa powder.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamma Maria's Cake
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.0
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 194.2 mg
- Sodium 201.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 51.4 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: