This quick pasta meal (perfect for Summer) comes from Notebook magazine - January 2008 along with the following notes & tips: * This recipe can be easily adjusted to suit any taste. Substitute basil with oregano and thyme, or use all three for a richer flavour. For colour variation, use yellow and red cherry tomatoes. If cooking for children, use penne, which is easier to pick up with a fork.
- 500 g grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon basil, shredded
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, plus extra to drizzle
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 400 g spaghetti
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, toasted (50g)
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, torn (plus extra)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ricotta, crumbled, to serve (125g)
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, shredded basil, balsamic and 2 tbs of the oil in a small bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, place the zucchini in a bowl with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss in the oil to coat.
- Preheat a char-grill pan on high. Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes each side or until lightly charred and tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water following packet directions until al dente. Drain well.
- Return pasta to the saucepan and add the tomato mixture, zucchini, pine nuts and remaining basil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Divide pasta among serving bowls, serve topped with ricotta and a drizzle of balsamic.