I got this potato dish from a magazine many years ago. We love it as a treat once in a while!
Make and share this Mashed Potatoes with Onions and Pine Nuts recipe from Food.com.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, then drain.
- Cover and set aside while the onions are cooking.
- To Cook the Onions: Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the onions over medium to high heat, tossing frequently until the are cooked and some of the onion is crisp and golden.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To Mash the Potatoes: Add the butter, some milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Crush with a potato masher.
- Beat the potatoes well with a fork until they are light and fluffy, adding more milk and salt and pepper as required.
- Serve the potatoes covered with the onions and the oil the onions were cooked in.
- Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and grind over some pepper.
Well this immediately got 5 stars when the DM ate up the lot (after a little a prompting). I scaled the recipe back for 3 and used 2 medium onions and cooked them very slowly (about 30 minutes) though I first coated the slices with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and used 1 teaspoon in the pan and cooked at a low temperature for the 30 minutes, stirring occassionally and the toasted pinenuts are an inspiration. Thank you JustJanS, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 14.
Very good. It will sure be on my Christmas menu.