Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
It turned cold here last night, so I made this meal-in-a-bowl stew for our dinner last night and was very pleased with it. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but it was quick to put together. I did it all in a non-stick electric frying pan, but you could do it on the stove top or in the oven. If you can’t get brown gravy powder, use flour and add a bit of extra seasoning to taste. I don't like celery, zucc, broccoli, corn, beans or cauli in stews or casseroles, but you could add any of them if you wanted (I guess ;-) )
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300 g mushrooms, sliced
- 300 g stewing beef, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 6 equal pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks (a bit smaller than potatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons beef gravy mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the oil and cook the onion, bacon, garlic and mushrooms until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the beef and cook until it changes colour.
- Next add the, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Tabasco, paprika, herbs, water and wine. Stir well then add the potatoes and carrots.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 1 ¼ hours or until meat and veg are tender.
- Add the peas and cook a further 10 minutes, then mix the gravy powder and three tablespoons water together and add this paste to the stew stirring well. Allow to simmer a few minutes until thickened.
- Serve in deep bowls with chopped parsley sprinkled over each serve.