bluemoon downunder's Note:
A simple to make and attractive Mediterranean Tart, containing all the classic Mediterranean ingredients, adapted from a recipe on Huey's website. Huey (Iain Hewitson) is an Australian chef whose popular TV cooking show appears twice daily on weekdays. He is also the author of many books, and runs Tolarno's Restaurant in Melbourne. It is easy to increase the quantity of the ingredients, to vary the ingredients, add others (such as artichoke hearts) and to make several smaller tarts or individual tarts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, skin left on, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cored and sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, cored and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 large cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 pitted black olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 200 g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- 2Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and gently sauté the onion, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, capsicums, garlic and seasonings until softish, stirring occasionally.
- 3Place the tomatoes, olives, feta, basil and sautéed veggies into a bowl and toss well, then transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.
- 4Cut a pastry sheet to fit the dish and place it on top of the vegetables. Tuck in the edges and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden and has risen slightly .
- 5Allow the tart to cool a little and then invert it onto a large serving platter, so that the pastry is now on the bottom.
- 6Serve warm or at room temperature as a main dish for brunch or lunch or as a side dish served with other Mediterranean dishes, in which case it would serve more than 4.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Upside Down Tart
Serving Size: 1 (665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.3
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Sodium 846.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 18.0 g