Another quick and easy recipe – how useful they are! – I’m adding in the eleventh hour before the 2005 Let’s Get Fresh and SWAP - Recipe Swap because I couldn’t find anything like it on ZAAR. This is my adaptation of one of Huey's recipes. Iain Hewitson is an Australian cook, better known as Huey, who runs Tolarno’s restaurant in Melbourne and hosts a popular TV cooking show. He is also the author of several cooking books. If serving for breakfast or brunch, you may want to omit the Cointreau.
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 3⁄4-1 cup orange juice
- 250 g strawberries, washed, carefully dried and hulled
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon caster sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cointreau liqueur
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- Place the apples in a microwave container, sprinkle with cinnamon and pour the orange juice over the top.
- Cover and cook on high in the microwave for 3 minutes, toss and then cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- At the same time, puree the strawberries and add 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste.
- Then drain the juice from the apples into a saucepan together with the strawberry puree and cook over a high heat to reduce.
- Place the apples in a bowl and pour the sauce over the top.
- Garnish with almonds and serve warm or hot.