1/3 Photos of Mim's Fruit and Wine Trifle
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 20 mins
My friend Mim gave me her trifle recipe, which is one of her most frequently requested desserts. I recently made this again with raspberries and strawberries - this is the photo on the recipe. I also omitted the gelatine and just made a thicker custard which I folded into the whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sponge cakes, layers (bought cake or ladyfingers)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (450 g) can apricots, sliced, well drained
- 1 (450 g) can pineapple chunks, well drained (save 1/2 cup syrup)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream (about 300ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Drain pineapple and apricots; reserve 1/2 cup of the pineapple syrup; combine reserved syrup and wine.
- 2Trim sponge cake to size of deep glass serving dish; put a layer of sponge in serving dish; sprinkle with half wine mixture and top with apricots.
- 3Pour over half the custard mixture and put remaining sponge layer on top, sprinkle with remaining wine mixture.
- 4Next add the pineapple pieces and pour over remaining custard mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour - can be done the day before serving.
- 5CUSTARD - Mix sugar and custard powder with 2 tablespoons of the milk; put remaining milk in saucepan, bring to boil.
- 6Add a little hot milk to custard powder, then pour back into milk; stir until custard boils and thickens.
- 7Sprinkle gelatine over the 2 tablespoons of water, stir into custard until it dissolves; when custard is cool, fold in whipped cream and vanilla.
- 8TO FINISH - decorate with whipped cream, halved strawberries and passionfruit pulp.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mim's Fruit and Wine Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.4
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 183.0 mg
- Sodium 279.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 48.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: