Easy to make and gluten-free too. You can use lemon or lime in place of the orange as variations if you wish. Sprinkle with icing sugar (confectioners sugar) if you dont want to add the icing for a pretty presentation. Recipe using Australian metric measures.
My Private Note
mini ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (75 grams)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup ground almonds (almond meal /40 grams)
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut (30 grams)
- 1/4 cup fine polenta (cornmeal or 40 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free if required)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed for best flavour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C Line 2 x 12 mini muffin pans with mini paper cases.
- 2Using an electric mixer- beat together the butter, sugar and orange zest for 5 minutes, or until pale and fluffy.
- 3Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- 4In a seperate bowl- mix together the ground almonds/almond meal, coconut, polenta and baking powder.
- 5Stir in the dry mix to the butter mixture and then add the orange juice and buttermilk. Stir well to combine.
- 6Divide the mixture into the paper cases and smooth the surface of the mini cakes with the back of a spoon.
- 7Bake approx 12 minutes or until the tops are firm when lightly toughed and a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake will come out clean.
- 8Remove from the oven and cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cakes to a wire tray to cool- about 30 minutes.
- 9To make the icing- place sifted icing sugar and orange juice in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until combined.
- 10Spread a small spoonful of icing over each cake and decorate with orange zest if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Flourless Orange and Almond Cakes (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 74.3
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.5 mg
- Sodium 15.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 0.7 g