1/18 Photos of Mini Potato Gratins
From Australian Super Food Ideas. A very tasty potato dish. Have included cooking time for boiling potatoes and making sauce and oven time. I think you could make this ahead and keep in the refrigerator but would have to take out for at least 30 minutes before cooking and would cook at a slightly lower temperature for longer to ensure it heats all the way through. NOTE 28 May'10 - Tasty cheese = cheddar, usually a young one; my personal preference is a sharp or aged vintage one depending what I have on hand but all will work well but just give a different depth of flavour. Also a sprinkle of paprika on top (or mixed with breadcrumbs does not go wrong - not unusual for me to do on a cheesy topped dish).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 800 g potatoes (peeled)
- 50 g butter
- 2 spring onions (scallions, finely sliced or 1 small brown onion, finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup milk (warmed)
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (fresh and chopped)
- 1 cup tasty cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 175C/350F (160C/320F fan forced).
- 2Cook potatoes, uncovered, in a large pot/saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10 to 12 minutes or until just fork tender.
- 3Set aside for 5 minutes and then cut into small cubes and transfer to a bowl.
- 4Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat and add spring onion or (onion) and garlic and cook until just tender (1 minute for spring and about 2 for onion).
- 5Add flour and continue to stir for a minute.
- 6Add milk and whisk (balloon whisk) and whisk until smooth and then continue to stir with a wooden spoon until sauce thickens and then remove from heat.
- 7Add mustard and thyme and season with salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- 8Now add milk mix to the potatoes and gently mix together.
- 9Spoon potatoes into four 1 cup capacity ovenproof dishes or ramekins.
- 10Divide the cheese and then the breadcrumbs equally over the top of the potatoes.
- 11Place dishes on a baking tray.
- 12Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts and breadcrumbs are golden.
- 13Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Potato Gratins
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.2
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 69.9 mg
- Sodium 386.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 15.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard