Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Perfect for those school lunches! From the Feb 2007 volume of Notebook Magazine.
Make and share this Mini-Vegetable Pasties recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped (kumara)
- 1 small carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 125 g corn, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 3 sheets shortcrust pastry (ready-rolled and frozen)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 240°C Line an oven tray with baking paper. Cook sweet potato in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Use a fork to mash until smooth. Set aside to cool in bowl.
- Cook carrot and potato in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add carrot mixture, peas, corn, cheese and 1 egg to sweet potato. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a 12cm-diameter pastry cutter to cut 12 discs from pastry sheets. Spoon vegetable mixture evenly among pastry discs. Brush edges of pastry lightly with remaining egg.
- Fold pastries in half to enclose filling. Use fingertips to gently press together to seal. Place on the lined tray and lightly brush with remaining egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- [You can freeze these pasties at this point. Place in an airtight container in the freezer. To defrost, place individual pasties in the fridge for 4 hours.].
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Once completely cooled, wrap in foil and place in lunch box.