Missy Wombat's Note:
Perfect for those school lunches! From the Feb 2007 volume of Notebook Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped (kumara)
- 1 small carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 125 g corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 3 sheets shortcrust pastry (ready-rolled and frozen)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C Line an oven tray with baking paper. Cook sweet potato in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Use a fork to mash until smooth. Set aside to cool in bowl.
- 2Cook carrot and potato in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- 3Add carrot mixture, peas, corn, cheese and 1 egg to sweet potato. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Use a 12cm-diameter pastry cutter to cut 12 discs from pastry sheets. Spoon vegetable mixture evenly among pastry discs. Brush edges of pastry lightly with remaining egg.
- 5Fold pastries in half to enclose filling. Use fingertips to gently press together to seal. Place on the lined tray and lightly brush with remaining egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 6[You can freeze these pasties at this point. Place in an airtight container in the freezer. To defrost, place individual pasties in the fridge for 4 hours.].
- 7Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- 8Once completely cooled, wrap in foil and place in lunch box.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini-Vegetable Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (1329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.7
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 38.2 mg
- Sodium 309.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 6.0 g