Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Always on the lookout for a good meatloaf recipe and this one from Super Food Ideas I find intriguing being coupled with sweet potato.
- 1 kg ground beef (lean beef mince)
- 1 brown onion (small finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 large carrot (peeled grated)
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (chopped fresh leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup oregano (chopped fresh leaves)
- 200 g sweet potatoes (orange peeled and thinly sliced lengthways)
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon (chopped fresh leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup basil (chopped fresh leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 125 g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- asparagus (steamed to serve)
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
- Lightly grease a 7cm deep, 13cm x 24cm (base) loaf pan.
- Place mince, onion, garlic, carrot, barbecue sauce, egg, flour, rosemary and oregano in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Spoon half the mixture into prepared pan and using the back of a spoon, press down firmly to level.
- Arrange half the sweet potato, in a single layer, over the mince mixture and top with tarragon and basil .
- Arrange remaining sweet potato, in a single layer, over herbs and spoon remaining mince mixture over sweet potato and using the back of a spoon to press down firmly to level.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until meatloaf is browned and comes away from sides of the pan.
- Spread top with tomato sauce and top with tomatoes and pine nuts and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Set aside for 10 minutes and serve with asparagus.
ok if you want flavor this meatloaf does it, i grated onions as well as carrots used dried herbs instead of fresh cause thats waht i have and only a Tablespoon of the dried. the meatloaf doesnt hang together because of all the veggies abnd stuff but its got a ton of flavor . i lliked the yams with the meatloaf .