Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is really moist with a great flavour. Because of the natural sugars in fruit it is naturally sweetened. I have used this cake for all special occasions and everyone just loves it. Especially when they find out there is no added sugar or fat!
- Line base and sides of 20cm squared cake tin with paper.
- Place mixed fruit, apricots, undrained pineapple, orange juice and spice in a saucepan.
- Bring slowly to boil, simmer uncovered 2-3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Cover and allow to cool.
- Stir egg yolks (optional) and soda into fruit mixture.
- Whip egg whites stiffly in large bowl.
- Fold in fruit mixture, then fold in flour, making a firm mixture.
- Spread into cake tin, bake in moderate oven (160c) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cover the hot cake with foil and allow to cool in the pan.
- On special occasions, you may decorate the top with glace cherries and a few almonds.
- Take care- all nuts have a high fat content.
- The pineapple can be replaced by 3/4 cup water and 1 cup mashed pumpkin.
- or 3/4 cup water and 1 cup pureed pie apricots Add the pumpkin or apricots after the fruit mixture has cooled.
- The water is added to the dried fruit so it can be boiled.
Very flavorful and moist- a nice change from all of the super sweet things around our house these holidays. I wasn't sure what wholemeal flour was- so I used whole wheat flour and allspice instead of mixed spice. Also, 160c converted to 320f. Thanks for sharing this wonderful "healthy" cake- I even had some for breakfast with my coffee.
This recipe tastes wonderful. It is ful of flawour and is easy to make. I found it perfect for Christmas and for a wedding cake I recently made