Coconut is my Dads' favourite food (along with pineapple and apricots) so for his birthday I made him this. All I can say about this cake is WOW!!!
- Grease a deep 23cm round cake pan, line base with paper; grease paper.
- Cream butter, sugar and essence in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture carefully to large bowl.
- Fold in half the coconut and sifted flour with half the sour cream and milk.
- Then fold in remaining half, fold until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour.
- Stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool.
- Top with frosting when cold.
- Combine sifted icing sugar in bowl with coconut and egg whites, mix well. Tint with a little pink food colouring if desired.