1 hr 5 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A quick to make mid-week main course with a Moroccan twist, adapted from a recent issue of the Australian 'Women's Day'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthways
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g ground beef or 500 g ground pork or 500 g ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon moroccan seasoning
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Using a small knife and a spoon, carefully remove the flesh from the eggplant halves without breaking the skin, and chop the flesh coarsely.
- 3Place the eggplant halves onto a baking tray, cut side up, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and bake for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
- 4Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan, over a medium heat, and sauté the eggplant flesh for 3-5 minutes, until it is golden and tender; remove from the pan and set aside.
- 5In the same pan, heat the remaining oil over a high heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute, then add the ground meat and cook for 4-5 minutes, until it is well browned, breaking up the lumps as it browns with the back of a spoon.
- 6Return the eggplant to the pan, add the Moroccan seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until fragrant. Stir in the tomato, pine nuts and sugar and season to taste.
- 7Fill the eggplant halves with the meat mixture and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- 8Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and tender.
- 9Serve with the tomato and cucumber salad and fresh crusty bread.
- 10Tomato and Cucumber Salad: Chop the cucumber and toss the cucumber pieces and halved cherry tomatoes with the olive oil and red wine vinegar and season to taste.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.5
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 86.1 mg
- Sodium 144.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: