Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Russ found this one in the Western Australian Sunday Times-it's yummy!
Make and share this Moroccan Style Pumpkin and Couscous Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 750 g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces (suggests Kent pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (500 g) packetfrozen broad beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 30 g pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- plain yogurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200c. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the pumpkin with the oil and spices in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pumpkin in a single layer on the prepared baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Turn occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the broad beans in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until tender. Refresh under cold running water: peel (discard the skins) then set aside.
- Bring the stock to the boil, remove from the heat and add the couscous. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff up with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine the couscous, pumpkin, broad beans, chickpeas, pine nuts, lemon juice and coriander leaves tossing gently to combine.
- Taste and season. Serve with the yogurt if desired.
Nice tasting salad and it certainly makes a large quantity. The couscous seems a little dry though so maybe my lemons weren't juicy enough. The slowest job is peeling the broadbeans but the beautiful clolour makes it well worth the while.
I made this for lunch today teamed up with http://www.food.com/recipe/yogurt-mint-marinated-chicken-277964?scaleto=3&mode=null&st=true and it was just amazing. I followed as per instructions without subbing anything. So very yummy, thanks so much for sharing.
Now this is a DELICIOUS couscous salad! All the flavours go so well together and even though it doenst have many spices in it, it is very flavourful and surprisingly spicy. Especially when you bite onto the cumin seeds. :) I luv the roasted pumpkin in this, as it adds moisture and lots of flavour. I left out the lemon juice and pine nuts due to allergies. Im sure theyd been a great addition, but the salad was perfect without them, too. I didnt feel I was missing out. My sis hates cilantro, so I subbed flat leaf parsley, which added a nice flavour and speck of colour. I still cant get over the fact how quick and easy this was to prepare and how great it tasted. Ill make it again for sure! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing with us and tell Russ thanks for spotting it. :) Made and reviewed for group Hakea in the Aussie/NZ Swap September 09.