Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From Australia Super Food Ideas. At this stage times are estimated and are for cake and ganache (though not refrigeration times). Have estimated flakes as an amount was not given in the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C (160 degree for fan forced oven).
- Grease a 6cm deep x 22cm round cake tin and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Sift flours and cocoa together.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add chocolate, sugar and cold water.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs and stir to combine and then add sifted flours and cocoa, stirring until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre has moist crumbs clinging.
- Stand for 10 minutes in tin and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Chocolate Ganache.
- Place chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
- Spread over the cake and top with chocolate flakes.
- Stand for 10 minutes or until ganache is set.
- Serve and enjoy.
This was a great cake. I used 1/2 cup whisky and 1/2 cup coffee instead of the water, but everything else was the same. It had a lovely crust, I love ganache but I'm not sure it even needed this as it was nice and crunchy! I'll make again.