Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy savoury muffins off an old recipe card. Good as a breakfast on the run.
Make and share this Mushroom, Parmesan and Basil Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 3 tablespoons basil (heaped, finely chopped fresh)
- 15 mushrooms (medium size diced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (I use hi lo)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 mushrooms (extra finely sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Line 18 muffin holes with paper patty pans.
- Whisk the milk, egg and oil in a jug.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the cheese, basil and mushrooms.
- Make a well in the centre and gently pour in milk, egg and oil mix and fold gently to combine (the batter should still be lumpy).
- Divide the mixture between the 18 paper patty pans and top with slices of the extra mushroom.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skew inserted through the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
These were way, way better than I even expected. I like my mushrooms well cooked so was a bit concerned throwing raw, diced ones into the mix-I needn't have worried-they cookd up just GREAT! We had friends turn up as they came out of the oven and the four of us just stood at the ben with a slab of butter and ate them off the cooling rack. Lots of Mmmmms and Oooooos and not much conversation until about 12 of them had been eaten. I was lucky to rescue a few to photograph. Friend went home with the recipe! We all thought a bit of cooked onion and bacon would be nice in the mix for a change, but they were perfect as is!
Great muffin recipe. Totally different to what I would normally make. Having had 200mm of rain in the last week or so, DD and I went mushroom gathering (is that what you call it?) in the fields of the farm behind us and came home and made these straight away. We really enjoyed them for lunch and have frozen some for school lunches. I put mine in patty papers for ease of eating at school. Thanks Chef Potts for another excellent recipe