From monthly magazine Recipe+ Using vegetable stock makes this dish vegetarian.
Make and share this Mushroom Soup With Halloumi Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 500 g button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 200 g swiss brown mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 brown onion (large, thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock (500ml or chicken)
- 2 cups water (500ml)
- 75 g halloumi cheese (cut into 1cm pieces)
- 12 sage leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes stirring until softened.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in the same pan and add onion and garlic and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minutes or until well combined and then add stock, 2 cups of water and 2/3 of the cooked mushrooms and bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan over moderately high heat and add the halloumi and sage and cook and turn for 2-3 minutes or until the haloumi is golden and then drain on paper towels.
- Blend soup in batches or use a stick blender, return to the pot if done in a blender and add the cream and stir and cook for a further 5 minutes over a low heat or until heated through.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with reserved mushrooms, sage and halloumi.
I really enjoyed this quick and easy to make soup. The halloumi cheese croutons and fried sage were the perfect accompaniments for the soup, adding additional flavor and texture. The soup was soft and subtle. I did add salt and pepper to bring out more of the mushroom flavor. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe that I will make again and again.
Last week it was my mother-in-laws birthday so we went out for dinner. We all had a bowl of mushroom soup each and I had to try this recipe because we all enjoyed the soup. I omit the sage and used lactose free cream otherwise I kept to the recipe. We all enjoyed it and even thought it was better then the one we had at the restaurant. Thanks I'mPat for a lovely recipe.
I didn't keep any whole mushrooms as directed for garnish as my DD will not eat them unless the are pulverized. She doesn't like the consistency of them but enjoys the taste. I added the Haloumi cheese to the oil to early so they didn't staye nicely cubed, but, the flavour was amazing. I will be making this recipe often. thanks for sharing.