From a national chain supermarket as part of their Feed You Family for Under $10 - recipe created by Aussie Chef Curtis Stone. Have not included 1 1/2 hour chilling times for the pastry.
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled and cut into pieces)
- 3 tablespoons water (chilled)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
- 100 g mushrooms (trimmed, cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 onion (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups spinach leaves (if large coarsely chop, tightly packed)
- 50 g ham (chopped)
- 50 g cheese (tasty or cheddar grated)
- 1⁄2 cup thickened cream (double cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- To make pastry crusts - combine flour, butter and salt in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add 3 tablespoons of ice cold water and continue to blend until moist clumps begin to form.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and cut the dough into 4 pieces and flatten each piece into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Lightly coat four 6 1/2 diameter tart pans with removable bottoms with butter.
- Unwrap the dough discs and roll out each disc on a lightly floured work surface to a 6 1/2 inch round.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared tart pans, fold the overhang in and press gently to adhere.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until the pastry shells are cold.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line the pastry shells with foil and weight the foil down with pie weights or dried beans.
- Place the tarts on a heavy baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the weights and foil and return to the oven and bake for a further 8 minutes or until the crusts are pale golden in colour.
- Meanwhile to prepare the filling - heat the oil in a large heavy pan over medium-high heat and add mushrooms and onion and saute for 3 minutes or until the mushrooms soften.
- Add the spinach and saute for 1 minute or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool and the divide the mix among the 4 warm crusts.
- Top each with an equal amount of ham and cheese.
- Mix the cream, eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.
- Divide the egg mix between the 4 tarts over the filling and bake for 18 minutes or until it is just set in the centre.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then remove from and pans and you could serve with a salad if so inclined.