Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was found in New Idea. I plan on trying it in the crock-pot in the not too distant future.
Make and share this Mushroom & Thyme Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 kg beef round roast
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 500 g mushrooms, halved
- 50 g sachet tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 3 -4 cups dry red wine
- 1 (50 g) sachet cream of mushroom soup mix
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh thyme sprig, to garnish
- roast potato, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish (20-cup capacity). Add beef. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 8 minutes,.
- or until browned. Remove beef.
- Heat remaining oil in same dish. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add mushrooms and paste. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until mushrooms soften. Add water, wine, soup mix and thyme. Return beef. Bring to boil. Cover.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1¾ hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from dish. Place dish on stove. Stir in blended cornflour and water. Stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens. Return beef to dish.
- Garnish pot roast with extra thyme. Serve with roast potatoes.