Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Australian House and Garden. Wine suggestion: Pinot Grigio Have this with a green salad and lots of crusty bread. Yum!
- 2 kg black mussels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch spring onion, white potion only,chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 250 ml cream
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb, coarsely chopped (eg parsley with marjoram or thyme and basil or dill)
- Remove beards and scrub mussels under cold running water.
- Discard any that remain open after handling.
- Put in a large bowl and refrigerate until needed[best if it is the same day!
- Heat the oil in a wok, add onion, spring onions and garlic and stirfry gently for a few minutes.
- Add wine, cream, lots of black pepper and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, add the mussels and cover with a large lid.
- Shake of stir the mussels around a couple of times until they open[about 5 minutes].
- Transfer mussels to a large bowl, leaving the cream sauce in the wok.
- Boil the sauce with the lid off over a high heat until reduced by half.
- Add herbs, then pour sauce over the mussels.
- Serve in shallow soup plates with thick slices of crusty bread to mop up the cream sauce.
We love mussels and enjoyed this very much!! Made sure there was enough bread for the juices and was glad I did!! I did add a chopped green chili pepper at step 5...thanks for posting Donna!
Made this yesterday for my BF and he liked it!!!For the herbs i used parsley and dill.Served this over pasta.Will do again Thanks!!
This was great! For the herbs I used some parsely and dill and went with a relatively coarse dice on the onion and tomatoes so I could scoop up plenty of the yummy sauce along with the mussels. Leftover sauce was great mopped up with a large crusty roll.