Based on an old recipe from a packet of oats, I've finally gotten to the point where I can make these perfectly. Keep an eye on them as they cook- I cook them two sheets at a time, but everyone's oven is different so be careful. Take them out when they are a uniform colour.
- Mix first 4 ingredients well.
- Melt butter and margarine with golden syrup over gentle heat.
- Dissolve bicarb in boiling water, stir into the syrup mixture and pour over dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Put heaped teaspoons 5cm apart on a baking tray, bake at 160 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Leave on trays a few minutes before lifting off and allowing to cool.
I used just margarine as that is all I had. These were nice but 10 mins in the oven and I had burned bottoms. I checked against other anzac recipes and they baked at 150 to 160C (a slow oven) so the second batch I did went in at 140 as my oven is gas. Success this time, and a lovely biscuit. Thanks!
Mmm, I just love these old fashion biscuits. A great quick n easy biscuit recipe to put together, thanks!