Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love all kinds of mac and cheese and grew up eating blue-box and home-made variations on the theme. This is one I came up with one day when I wasn't in the mood to make a roux or bechamel base for my sauce. The honey and mustard really add a depth of flavour to the sauce. You could easily subsitute the Velveeta for a more "grown-up" cheese, like sharp cheddar.
- Cook macaroni according to taste and drain (DO NOT RINSE).
- Mix the cornstarch with a couple of tablespoons of the milk.
- In a small jug, whisk the rest of the milk together with the cream and the mustard.
- Pour the milk/cream mix into a small saucepan and warm over medium heat until almost boiling, then add the honey.
- Add the cheese and stir until the cheese has completely melted into the sauce.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the cornstarch mix, stirring as the sauce thickens. Check the sauce for taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Finally, add the drained macaroni into the sauce and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Serve with whatever takes your fancy (or just eat it on its own, by the bowlful!).