lizzy smith's Note:
This recipe is over 100 years old. It is very Australian. It was my great grandmother Marry Elizabeth Kelly (and yes she was related to the grate Ned Kelly). Hope you love it as much as we do. :)(:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg diced beef
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1/4 red capsicum (diced)
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups barbecue sauce (fountain if poss)
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 1 1/4 cups cornflour, for thickening
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1Heat some oil in large heavy based pot add beef and onion.
- 2Fry until brown add capsicum and stir a little. Add about 6 cups of water,tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and veggies and then cook for 1 1/2 hours until the beef is completely tender.
- 3After the meat is tender add potatoes.
- 4Dumplings: Aside get a large mixing bowl and mix self raising flour and salt together adding milk till mixture is stiff and gooey.
- 5Spoon out 1 lump of mixture on the top of the stew and then another do this till all mixture is in balls on top of the stew. Place a tight lid on and cook for 15 minutes until the dumplings are cooked.
- 6You can also check by putting a sharp knife into one of the dumplings. If it comes out clean there done.
- 7Get the corn flour and mix with just enough water to make a paste add to stew little at a time to thicken when it is thick enough discard the rest.
- 8Serve with dumplings. Mmm, very very nice, real Australian out back dinner--Enjoy!
- 9This recipe is awesome in a slow cooker!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ned Kelly Stew (With Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1589.5
- Calories from Fat 1083
- Total Fat 120.3 g
- Saturated Fat 49.4 g
- Cholesterol 165.2 mg
- Sodium 1139.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 25.3 g