1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Another recipe sent to me by a New Zealand friend. This recipe tastes great the next day so make sure you make plenty. Use either a mix of coriander and cumin or just use curry powder. You may like to add several scrubbed and chopped potatoes or kumara (sweet potatoe) to the recipe, do this when adding the onions. Fruit type chutney is nice added too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 g butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground coriander (or 1-2 tsp curry powder instead of the coriander and cumin)
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 -12 links pork sausage, cut into about four pieces
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, chopped
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 -2 banana, chopped
- apple (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large deep frying pan or electric frypan, melt butter. Don't let it spread all over the pan but keep in a smallish area.
- 2On top of that, as it melts, place spice mixes. Mix the spices into the butter and cook a minute or two till the spice flavour has expanded.
- 3Stir sausages through the butter and spice mix.
- 4Add onions and carrots and stir through also.
- 5Cook a few minutes stirring every now and then, till the sausage and onion are starting to brown a little and the mix is sticking to the pan surface.
- 6Add tin tomatoes and stir through. A wooden spatula is easiest for this - and will help you lift the brownings from the surface of the pan to mix through to give extra flavour.
- 7Add coconut cream and stir through.
- 8Add coconut, sultanas and bananas. Maybe some apple.
- 9Simmer all together for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or till the mix is as thick as you want. Try not to use a thickening agent as the flavour is better this way.
- 10Season to taste and serve on rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Zealand Curried Sausages
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.1
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 42.5 mg
- Sodium 370.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 10.9 g