1/10 Photos of New Zealand Pavlova
1 hr 15 mins
Pavlova is a traditional dessert in New Zealand. It is a meringue base that is topped with whipped cream and fruit, usually kiwifruit. Children's birthday cakes are often pavlovas in New Zealand and may be decorated with candy. As with all meringues, this is best made on a dry day as high humidity can affect the end result. If you want a larger pavlova, just keep adding layers - you might want to make the bottom one a big wider so the creation doesn't tip! You must let the meringue sit for a few hours and I did not include that time. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar (caster sugar, berry sugar, or regular sugar blitzed in a food processor until grains are half their )
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit, sliced (kiwifruit, berries, peaches, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream (just add sugar to it, to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Line a shallow baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2In a large dry bowl, sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites and beat until stiff. Whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the egg whites a tablespoon at a time, while beating on medium speed, until all ingredients are combined. The meringue should be shiny, white, and stiff. Fold in vanilla extract.
- 3Reduce oven heat to 200°F Mound the meringue on the baking sheet in a round shape about 6 inches in diameter. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven, leaving meringue in the oven until it is cold or overnight.
- 4Top with whipped cream and arrange fruit over top.
- 5Use a serrated knife to gently saw slices. It is best to eat when first made but you can store leftovers in a covered container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Zealand Pavlova
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lightly sweetened whipped cream