Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from The Australian Women's Weekly Sweet Old-Fashioned Favourites. My friend's father has just been diagnosed with Cancer and he was craving some of these, but we couldn't find a recipe here for them. They are a sweet and they are only called mushrooms because they look like them!
- Beat butter, essence and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add egg, beat until just combined.
- Stir in sifted flour.
- Turn mixture onto lightly floured surface, knead gently until smooth. Cover and refridgerate 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry out to 2mm and cut 6 1/2 cm rounds. Place into greased shallow patty pans. This makes the cases.
- To make the stalks, roll pastry scraps into a log and cut 30 stalks 1 1/2cm long. Place on lightly greased oven tray and bake cases and stalks in mod hot oven for about 12minutes or until lightly browned.
- Flatten pastry cases about half way through cooking with back of spoon to remove air bubbles. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread inside of each pastry case with about 1/2tsp jam, sprinkle with about 1/2tsp nuts. Spread about 2 level tsp filling into each case. Sprkle with a little sifted cocoa and press a stalk into the filling.
- FILING: Have butter and milk at room temperature Beat butter, essence and sugar in small bowl with mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in milk and water a teaspoon at a time.