Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love pies, and I especially love meat pies with mushrooms in them ! , this one is simple to make and very tasty. Great on a cold winter night, by itself or served with chips, mashed potatoes or mushy peas.... hope you like it
- Cook beef and onion in a large sauceppan until the meat is browned and the onion softened.
- Add the whole tin of mushrooms juice and all, stir well.
- Mix gravy powder and the flour into a smooth paste with the water.
- Add to meat and stir until its thickened (use your judgement here, if you like a little more gravy add a small bit of water).
- Grease a 20cm pie plate and cover base and sides with puff pastry.
- Spoon in meat filling and press down firmly.
- Cover in pastry, trim edge and press together with a fork to make a decorative edge.
- Pierce with a fork a couple of times or I like to cut a v in the top flipping it over to make a little triangular hole.
- Lightly brush with milk and decorate with excess pastry if desired.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- I have also used fresh mushrooms in this, add them after you brown the meat, you may need to add a little more water if you use fresh mushies, again, use your judgement.
Yum! The gravy and mushrooms gave the filling a wonderful consistency and taste. The only change I made was I didn't have a regular round pie dish so used two smaller square ones and wrapped the pastry over the top.
We loved this - I substituted a ready made savoury flan base for the puff pastry, and used a sheet of puff pastry on the top. We (well, Chris mainly :-) ) ate the whole pie between the two of us for dinner last night! Thanks for posting kyrandia.