6 hrs 30 mins
This is an old style meat casserole, but made oh so much nicer. It is slow cooked for more than 6 hours for maximum taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 600 g meat
- 500 ml red wine (cheap)
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 350 ml water (you can use extra wine and omit the water if you wish)
- 1 large onion, chopped up roughly
- 5 slices bacon, chopped up roughly
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 5 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- 5 bay leaves
- 20 ml oil (for frying)
- plain flour
- 500 g mixed vegetables (roughly cut)
- 1Trim off all fat and sinew from the meat, then chop into cubes or small strips.
- 2Powder the meat in plain flour so it is completely covered.
- 3Remove the rind of the bacon and chop.
- 4In a heavy bottom frying pan, fry the bacon, garlic and chilli in a little oil.
- 5Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the pan, but retain the oil.
- 6Cook the meat in small quantities until brown all over.
- 7Into a slower cooker, put in the red wine, water, wholegrain mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, herbs, bay leaves. Stir until well combined. Add the meats and roughly chopped vegetables.
- 8Cooking times vary. At least 6 hours is needed to ensure the meat is tender and the potatoes are cooked through. I’ve cooked this for 24 hours and it’s come out perfect.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Style Casserole - Enhanced!
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.0
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.4 mg
- Sodium 374.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard