Onions and garlic are slowly pan-cooked until caramelised and then used as the base of a delicious frittata. Adapted from a recipe on the Simply Great Recipes website. Obviously you can use your own pesto recipe or a pesto from your favourite deli in place of the commercially available one. I left the Leggo's pesto named in the original recipe in this recipe, as that makes for a quicker version when time is limited. For the best results from this simple dish, use free range eggs.
- In a medium bowl beat together the eggs, milk and Leggo's Pesto - Traditional Basil.
- Heat the oil in a large (preferably non-stick) pan, over a medium-high heat, add the onions, sprinkle with sugar, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the onion slices are golden brown. Add the garlic in the last 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture onto the onions in the pan and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the egg mixture with the grated cheese (and feta, if you are using part feta) and add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste; and finish cooking the frittata under a preheated grill for 3-4 minutes or until the frittata has set.
- Slide the frittata out of the pan onto a serving platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
delicious and simple. I made this a couple of days ago needing eggs to eat with for my sore mouth. Use a smooth nut and basil pesto, flavors exploded
We loved this for a light supper while out in the RV. Great flavors! I used Classico bottled pesto and sharp cheddar, but will try it with feta next time. Caramelizing onions really made for a richer flavor than just sauteing them.
Yummy! Just what I was looking for something to use up some pesto I already had. I made as directed except I added a handful of chopped ham after the onions were carmelized. This was a great addition to an already fantastic dish. I used colby and jack cheese. I barely got a pic because DH was wanting to dig in as soon as I pulled it out of the oven. Thank You bluemoon downunder for a wonderful breakfast. Made for 123 hit wonders