Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Gluten Free friendly cake. Dark Chocolate melted and drizzled over this cake is just to die for.
Make and share this Orange and Almond Cake with Orange Syrup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large navel oranges
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 300 g ground almonds, strained
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- candied orange or orange rind (to garnish)
- heavy cream, to serve
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sauterne or 1⁄4 cup sweet white wine
- Grease and lightly flour a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Place the whole oranges in a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours, topping up with more water as it evaporates.
- Remove the oranges.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cut the oranges into quarters and place in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, then cool thoroughly.
- Place the egg yolks, orange liqueur and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth, then stir in the orange puree and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in a dry bowl until firm peaks form.
- Add the almonds and baking powder to the orange mixture, stir together well, then carefully fold in the eggwhites.
- Gently pour into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour.
- Cool the cake in the tin, then transfer to a serving plate.
- To make the syrup: place the orange juice, sugar and sauterne in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Skim off any scum that forms on the surface.
- The syrup will thicken as it cools.
- To serve, cut the cake into wedges, top with the candied orange, or rind and drizzle the syrup over.
- Serve with cream.