3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A Gluten Free friendly cake. Dark Chocolate melted and drizzled over this cake is just to die for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large navel oranges
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 300 g ground almonds, strained
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- candied orange or orange rind (to garnish)
- heavy cream, to serve
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup sauterne or 1/4 cup sweet white wine
- 1Grease and lightly flour a 23cm springform cake tin.
- 2Place the whole oranges in a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours, topping up with more water as it evaporates.
- 3Remove the oranges.
- 4Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 5Cut the oranges into quarters and place in a food processor.
- 6Blend until smooth, then cool thoroughly.
- 7Place the egg yolks, orange liqueur and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth, then stir in the orange puree and mix well.
- 8Whisk the egg whites in a dry bowl until firm peaks form.
- 9Add the almonds and baking powder to the orange mixture, stir together well, then carefully fold in the eggwhites.
- 10Gently pour into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour.
- 11Cool the cake in the tin, then transfer to a serving plate.
- 12To make the syrup: place the orange juice, sugar and sauterne in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- 13Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 14Skim off any scum that forms on the surface.
- 15The syrup will thicken as it cools.
- 16To serve, cut the cake into wedges, top with the candied orange, or rind and drizzle the syrup over.
- 17Serve with cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange and Almond Cake with Orange Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.7
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 132.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 71.9 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: