Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These kid-friendly muffins store well & can be frozen for up to a month. Easily adapted to add more orange rind or substitute lemon for the orange. This recipe was originally published in Good Taste magazine, in Australia, May 2004.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Brush 12 x 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity non-stick muffin pans with melted butter to lightly grease.
- Combine the poppy seeds and 60ml (1/4 cup) of the milk in a small bowl, then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl, then add the poppy-seed mixture along with remaining milk, butter, egg, orange rind and juice, and stir with a metal spoon until just combined (do not overmix).
- Spoon the batter among prepared muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack. Serve, dusted with icing sugar, warm or at room temperature.